Eating for the Health of It
Heart Healthy Nutrients to Consider
There’s a lot of information out there and it’s easy to get bogged down by the ever-changing recommendations. Everyone knows there are many factors that may impact your heart health such as physical activity, eating well, weight management, stress management and even our genetic makeup.
What can you do now to support your heart health?
We’ll focus on 3 basic ways you can support your heart health through research-backed science, just for the health of it!
3 Nutrients to Support Heart Health
- 1. Omega-3s
3. Plant Sterols
Meet the Omegas
The omega-3s, like those in fish oil supplements, are a class of polyunsaturated fats that have been touted as heart-healthy for decades.‡
Basically, fatty fish are incredible omega-3-rich sources that contain two essential fatty acids (the good fats): DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) and EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid). Getting enough of these fatty acids daily is an important part of a heart-healthy diet.‡So, switch out the burgers for some fish! Salmon burgers, anyone?
- Choose tuna, cod, salmon, sardines, halibut, herring, trout and mackerel.
- Try it grilled, baked or broiled.
- Add it to a crisp, green leafy salad or make a savory fish taco.
- Aim to add these 4-ounce servings of fish to your plate about two times a week.
- Keep an eye on the mercury (lowest in mercury: salmon, herring, sardines, and trout).
Benefits of Fish Oil
EPA and DHA from fish oil promote cardiovascular health by supporting lipid metabolism, healthy blood flow and healthy platelet function.1 ‡
If you’re not a fan of eating fish, you’ll need to cover your bases…
Most of us can cover the bases by taking fish oil. In order to reap the benefits of these two omega-3 fatty acids, it’s important to rely on both foods and supplements, every day. One of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids is fish oil supplements.2,3
Our fish oils are ultra-pure and microfiltered, including our once-daily O.N.E.™ Omega with 600 mg of EPA and 400 mg of DHA. Looking to add a little zest? Then you’ll really like EPA/DHA with Lemon. This same formula is offered without lemon, as EPA/DHA Essentials. Want something in a more convenient form? Try our lemon/lime-flavored PureNutrients EPA/DHA Gummy.
Antioxidants, Fiber and Plant Sterols
Some of our faves like blueberries, blackberries and raspberries, just to name a few, have a great nutritional profile and may help support heart health because they are so rich in antioxidants. Did you know that superfruits like acai have antioxidant activity?
Did you know that superfruits like acai have antioxidant activity?
Acai berry extract offers an exceptional nutritional composition—responsible for the deep colors of certain vegetables and fruits, like acai.4
- Our Acai supplement is combined with blueberry, pomegranate, and cranberry for additional support.5,6,7,8‡
Looking for more cardiovascular support?
- CoQ10 for heart health! Check it out. CoQ10 acts as an antioxidant, meaning, it provides cellular protection from free radicals.‡
What about the benefits of red wine?
- Resveratrol is the compound often associated with the health benefits of red wine because of its well-known antioxidant and cardio-supportive properties.‡
- You may want to consider supplementing with Resveratrol which promotes cardiovascular health in part through its antioxidant action by maintaining healthy platelet function.‡
Who knows—you might end up ditching that glass of wine after all!
Dark green leafy vegetables also have a pretty impressive nutrient profile. These plants, like kale, spinach, arugula and even beetroot greens, offer a fork full of dietary fiber, antioxidants, minerals and are easy on the waistline.
Vegetables contain many nutrients and phytochemicals that have been proposed to have cardiovascular health benefits.9
Plant SterolsWait - what’s a phytosterol? Good question, actually.
- Phytosterols are structural equivalents of cholesterol that occur naturally in many plant foods, like grains, nuts, seeds, soybeans and fruit and vegetable oils or those found in CholestePure Plus II.‡
- CholestePure Plus II‡ also provides a unique blend of phytosterols, berberine and bergamot extract to support healthy lipid metabolism and overall heart health.‡
Heart Healthy Benefits
Over 30 years of research suggest that phytosterols provide significant support for healthy lipid profiles.10‡
So don’t let the pretty colors and sweet notes of these foods fool ya’! Some plants pack a pretty mean punch!
Just Remember - Keep It Simple
Variety all the way. You also might want to check these off your list the next time you go grocery shopping!
- Whole grains
- Corder KE, et al. J Sports Sci Med. 2016 Feb 23;15(1):176-83.
- Fulgoni VL, et al. J Nutr. Oct 2011; 141(10):1847-1854.
- Harris WS, et al. J Nutr. 2009 Apr; 139(4):804S-19S.
- Schauss AG, et al. J Agric Food Chem. 2006 Nov 1;54(22):8598-603.
- Mertens-Talcott SU, et al. J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Sep 10;56(17):7796-802.
- Riso P, et al. Eur J Nutr. 2013 Apr;52(3):949-61.
- Mazani M, et al. Pak Med Assoc. 2014 Jul;64(7):785-90.
- Ruel G, et al. Metabolism 2005 Jul;54(7):856-61.
- Blekkenhorst, et al. Nutrients2018 10,5 595.[Full Text]
- Chen JT, et al. 2005 Feb;25(2):171-83.