Discover Nutrients for Men, Such as Saw Palmetto
In this blog we will look at the role saw palmetto and other key nutrients play in supporting men’s health through different stages of life.‡
Doesn't Matter Where You Start — Just Start!
You have that drive and determination that keeps your health and wellness on track. Whether you are running a half marathon or running after your kids, you are in tune with taking care of yourself. That’s important! Taking care of yourself physically, emotionally, and mentally really matters.
Some of you reading this may think, hmm, not so sure I fit in that category! If you are a novice at taking control of your health at any age, you are not alone. Many people sail through their twenties and even into their thirties before they realize they need to make some changes. Whatever the reason, know that it is never too late to invest in yourself and make a difference in your health.
So many things race through your mind when you think about starting on your health journey -- Like, where do I start?
For men, a great place to start to explore new methods to support their health is with Saw Palmetto.‡
Men’s Health Focus
Prostate and Urinary Health
In addition to a healthy diet, there are supplements like Saw Palmetto in Saw Palmetto 320 that have been used safely for decades to support prostate and urinary health.‡ The primary role of saw palmetto is maintaining healthy testosterone metabolism and enzyme activities.‡
- In a published JAMA meta-analysis involving eighteen randomized controlled trials and almost three thousand men, saw palmetto promoted healthy urinary flow.1 ‡
- Saw Palmetto Plus supports prostate health and healthy urinary flow.‡
- It contains some unique ingredients like Pygeum africanum which research suggests may maintain healthy prostaglandin metabolism in the prostate.2 ‡
- Saw Palmetto Plus also contains pumpkin seed oil which provides fatty acids and zinc, also important for prostate health.3 ‡
For some men, Saw Palmetto may be the first change they make when looking to support their prostate and urinary health. So, if you’re already taking Saw Palmetto, or maybe want to try something else, here are some other options to consider discussing with your healthcare provider‡:
- Beta-sitosterol, is a naturally occurring plant sterol that supports prostate health and urinary function. In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter study with 200 male subjects it revealed that Beta-sitosterol, provides promising urinary function support.4 ‡
- In addition to beta-sitosterol, saw palmetto, and pygeum, SP Ultimate provides antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and herbs that offer support for prostate and urinary health.‡
- ProstaFlo with a unique flower pollen extract (Secale cereale), supports healthy urinary function and prostate health and helps to maintain healthy urethra smooth muscle function.‡ It may also promote healthy leukotriene and prostaglandin production.‡
Muscle and Metabolism
Most men tend to equate good health with physical activity and endurance. Playing basketball a few nights weeks with the guys feels great; it’s a chance to decompress from the day’s stressors and just have fun! But after a couple of weeks, you realize that you’re keeping up, and you just can’t help but wonder, “What more can I do to achieve optimal health and wellness?” Or you may have noticed that as time passes, there has been a decline in your endurance or fitness levels.
Perhaps those changes you’ve been noticing, may have to do with your muscle health. As you age, there is a progressive decline in your skeletal muscle mass and strength.5 The good news is that you can continue to build muscle mass. You may see progress within a few months with the right training, commitment, and a balanced diet. Ensuring that you are getting enough calories and quality protein from your diet may sometimes be a challenge, however, considering a high quality whey protein powder, like WheyBasics may help you meet the increased demands of your workouts while supporting daily wellness.‡
- WheyBasics provides 21 grams of protein per serving as branched-chain amino acids for healthy muscle function and muscle recovery. It also contains immunoglobulins and lactoferrin, which may help to maintain immune system function.6,7 ‡ Just grab n’ go! It’s easy! Add 1 serving of WheyBasics to water, milk, or juice --- shake, stir or blend until smooth. Your muscles will thank you for it!
What about Testosterone?
- Men know that testosterone is another key player in their health and metabolism. Hormone balance is an integral part of good health. If you are looking to help maintain your body's normal testosterone levels, talk to your healthcare provider (HCP) about Tribulus Formula, which is for men ages 18 and up.‡
- Tribulus Formula contains D-aspartic acid and Tribulus terrestris to support testosterone balance.8,9 It also contains the flavonoids chrysin and hesperetin, which may help to maintain healthy testosterone metabolism through their effects on an enzyme called aromatase.10 ‡
- For support of healthy testosterone balance, you can also check out Testosterone Health-Daily Pure Pack.‡ This supplement supports muscle and bone health and energy metabolism while also promoting healthy prostatic function and reproductive health.‡
Optimal Nutritional Support
Plate’s not perfect? – Hey, we get it!
So how do you support your basic needs? A good way to support meeting your nutritional needs is by supplementing a healthy diet with a multivitamin/mineral. As you know, not every multivitamin/mineral complex is the same. Different ages, and health needs equal different nutritional requirements. Talk to your healthcare provider about a men’s multivitamin that is right for you, to ensure you’re hitting the mark.
- O.N.E™ Multivitamin is a once-daily multivitamin that provides a comprehensive profile of highly bioavailable vitamins, fully chelated minerals, and antioxidants to support optimal health.11 ‡
- Additionally, it contains sustained-release CoQ10 to support healthy brain function, cellular health, and eye health.‡
- It also includes Metafolin® L-5- methyltetrahydrofolate (L-5-MTHF), a naturally occurring, universally metabolized form of folate, and lutein and zeaxanthin to help maintain macular and retinal health.12,13
But, if you’re looking for the convenience of a daily pack, then you may really appreciate our Men's Pure Pack for men over the age of 40.
- Men’s Pure Pack offers a multivitamin mineral complex combined with added magnesium and vitamin D. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids, coQ10, saw palmetto, and more to provide essential nutrients for men in a once-daily packet.‡
- It supports cardiovascular, macular and prostate health while providing support for energy and stamina.‡
Take Away: It doesn’t matter what age you are; be proactive when it comes to your health. Having a candid conversation with your health provider about your health and supplementation regimen allows both of you to be on the same page. Whether you are interested in supplements such as saw palmetto to support prostate and urinary health, or supplements for general men’s health like Men's Nutrients, connecting with your HCP is a great place to start.‡
With great intentions - Purely for you.
1. Wilt TJ, et al. JAMA. 1998 Nov 11;280(18):1604- 9.
2. Breza J, et al. Curr Med Res Opin. 1998;14(3):127-39.
3. Hong H, et al. Nutr Res Pract. 2009 Winter;3(4):323-7.
4. Berges RR, et al. Lancet. 1995 Jun 17;345(8964):1529-32.
5. Koopman R, van Loon LJC. J Appl Physiol. 2009 Jun;106(6):2040-8.
6. Belobrajdic DP, et al. J Nutr. 2004;134(6);1454- 58. Y
7. Wong CW, et al. J Dairy Res. 1995 May;62(2):359-68.
8. Gauthaman K, et al. Phytomedicine. 2008 Jan;15(1-2):44-54.
9. Topo E, et al. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2009 Oct 27;7:120.
10. Jeong HJ, et al. Arch Pharm Res. 1999 Jun;22(3):309-12.
11. McKay DL, et al. J Am Coll Nutr. 2000;19:613- 621.
12. Prinz-Langenohl R, et al. Br J Pharmacol. 2009 Dec; 158(8): 2014–2021.
13. Hammond BR, et al. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Dec 2;55(12):8583-9.