Supporting a Healthy Liver‡
Take a look at how to support your body’s natural way to detox‡
Did you know that the liver, and some of your other organs, play a huge role in ridding the body of toxins every single day? Yep—we have a pretty good lineup to help support your liver. Organs like our liver, skin, lungs, kidneys and intestines are all part of the detox team. Our liver takes on a lot of work for us and works around the clock. Maybe it’s time we pay it a little more attention!
In this blog we are going to talk about 5 ways we can keep that powerhouse healthy!
Your Liver–Detox Around the Clock
So, what is a detox and is it really okay for us to do? The word detox is short for detoxification. Toxins from the environment, products you use, how and what you eat and drink, and internal and external stress can affect your health and your body’s ability to regulate your cytokine response. Here, we’ll focus on what we can do to better support your body’s natural detoxification pathways.
Here are 5 ways you can show your liver some love!
1. Assess Your Lifestyle
- Keeping things simple is key. This means that you don’t have to stop living and enjoying the foods you love, but take a look at your lifestyle.
- Do you think there are changes you need to make? For example, does your happy hour last from Friday to Friday? Do you pile the mini pizzas and queso dip on your plate and go back for seconds, maybe thirds!? If that’s the case, you may want to halt the margaritas and consider filling your plate with a few lower calorie foods. You can still enjoy some tortilla chips but go for the salsa instead. It’s all about balancing your plate.
- Think moderation and healthy whole foods!
- Look to cover your bases with a convenient daily pack that provides essential nutrients for a healthy liver, while also supporting your G.I. cell health. Detox Pure Pack is designed to promote healthy detoxification with a comprehensive profile of bioavailable vitamins, chelated minerals, fish oil and other supportive ingredients.‡
- Also, back off on the aerosols, cleaning chemicals and other household chemicals that might be mucking up your lungs and liver.
2. Find Some Balance
- Slow, small steps and consistency will get you eating a well-balanced diet daily.
- Complex carbs, with plenty of fiber, like fruits and vegetables with servings up to 5-9 a day should be a goal.
- Pile on the broccoli. This super veg has amazing phytonutrients like glucosinolates, including indole-3-carbinol and sulforaphane, that help support healthy detoxification. Don’t like broccoli? No problem. DIM Detox provides these ingredients in the supplement form.‡
- So, what is DIM? DIM Detox includes broccoli sprout concentrate and other ingredients to support the liver’s natural detoxification process and cell health.‡
- Have some nuts, seeds and legumes since these foods lend a greater sense of satiety, helping us feel fuller, not to mention they are rich in protein, heart-healthy fats, fiber and phytonutrients.
- Strive to consume an adequate amount of protein-rich foods daily. In doing so it will help with certain enzymes that aid in the natural detoxification process.
3. Healthy Weight
Balancing your plate can lend to a healthy weight.
- Be mindful of eating. This means be in the present. If you are eating, then do just that. Look at your plate and savor the beauty of it.
- Don’t go on your phone or sit in front of your TV while you are eating. All these distractions can cause us to eat too quickly, not feel satiated, and reach for more.
- Be modest in your portion size.
- Listen to your body: once you start to feel that sense of satiety—stop.
- Watch the scale, since it does tell a true story.
- Steer clear of hydrogenated fats, often found in conveniently prepared food items.
- Watch your total and saturated fats. Too much fat can lead to extra calories and, over time, can contribute to unwanted weight gain.
- Moving several times throughout the day is imperative for a variety of health reasons.
- Walk-n-Talk: Ask a coworker or a neighbor to take a walk. Taking a walk after you eat can help with moving things through your gastrointestinal tract (GI) as well as helping you develop a super habit.
- Walking—even around the office—can be a great way to declutter your mind and reduce stress.
- Dance on your lunch break, who cares who sees? Have fun.
- Get some fresh air and get in some gardening!
5. Antioxidant Support
- Get more antioxidant support for your liver health. LVR Formula includes an amazing blend of herbs and nutrients, such as artichoke extract and other plant-based ingredients, designed to support liver cell health and tissue function.‡
- Speaking of antioxidants:
- Liposomal Glutathione offers enhanced absorption glutathione for antioxidant, cellular and liver health support.3 The highest concentrations of glutathione are found in the liver, where it promotes pathways that support detoxification.4,5‡
- You also can support your body’s glutathione concentration with Silymarin, our highly concentrated milk thistle extract.
- Milk thistle has other benefits too, including stimulating protein synthesis in the liver’s cells and protecting it from free radicals in your body.‡
- Hydration. Drink plenty of water each day! Reach for some water and be sure to drink all day long. Staying hydrated aids in digestion and helps the liver with its natural detox pathway.
- You can support a healthy GI and liver with Liver-G.I. Detox.‡
- It aids the digestive process by promoting healthy bile flow and intestinal movement while also supporting liver cell function and blood flow in the liver.1 This formula contains Chlorella, one of the most extensively studied “green foods,” traditionally used for its digestive and detoxifying properties.2‡
Today’s Take Away: It’s easy (and good) to support healthy detoxification‡
The next time you are thinking about unwinding, why not make a hot steamy cup of antioxidant-rich green tea with some turmeric? You can get turmeric from your local grocery or health food store. You can also supplement with Curcumin, the active component in turmeric, helps to support the body’s natural detoxification system and maintain healthy liver function.‡
If you’re looking for a cooler alternative, try this super fresh hydrating Spring Clean Drink:
In the meantime, cheers to good health, a healthy liver and knowing that those little changes you make every day will make a difference!
1. Marakis G, et al. Phytomedicine. 2002 Dec;9(8):694-9.
2. Merchant RE, et al. Altern Ther Health Med. 2001 May-Jun;7(3):79-91.
3. Cooke, et al. Biol Neonate. 2005;87(3):178-80.
4. Honda Y, et al. BMC Gastroenterol. 2017 Aug 8;17(1):96.
5. Terakura S, et al. Int J Hematol. 2020 Jan;111(1):84-92.